Tuesday, June 3, 2008

That difficult second- day blog.....

Well, I got up, I watched the news on TV and a bit of some ABC show on perpetual motion. The most enjoyable part was watching obese middle aged men from Dallas, Texas sit in a room talking about thermodynamics. Anyway, then I had a piece of toast.....

And looked at a group on Facebook entitled Philistines get your hands of Bill Henson's photography!

Now this Bill Henson thing has probably given everyone what they have been craving the most - the right to an opinion - and I confess that I have one myself. Last week the local paper rang me up and asked what my opinion was on the whole thing, and the interview took about 20 mins because I couldn't decide what I thought about it. Since that interview I've changed my mind about a dozen times but here are the points that I have decided on:

a) it is naive to deny the sexuality of teenagers, but equally naive to treat it with the same sophistication as adult sexuality.

b) being an 'artist' gives you licence to get away with a lot (not necessarily in this instance), and to present items as 'art' simply because you are an 'artist'. Basically anything you do is ok because you are an 'artist' (and I put the term 'artist' in quotation marks not to diminish the role but to emphasise that it is the term 'artist' that gives you this licence).

Anyway here is a picture of Colonel Penis, the plushie that my ex-flatmate Christi made for me last year. He seems to have an erect penis, so it is difficult to deny that his intentions aren't sexual and this image may be subject to removal by the New South Wales Police. Wish him luck.

No comments: