Monday, June 9, 2008

Cake and feedback.


I received some feedback from my producer about my work, and it was a bit of an emotional moment because I don't really know how to describe what I do, or what my themes are, and I have felt that there is some pressure to be able to describe these things as an artist (for media releases, artist statements, etc.). I don't necessarily like figuring out myself what my work is about, but I do enjoy hearing what other people think it is. Here are Tam's comments, for posterity's sake:

Hi Ellie

Good to get your text.

In regards to your work I really love your work as an artist and enjoy the constant delight and surprise that your new body of work bring to me. Last week when we meet I think the key element we discussed in your work included:

investigation of body in costume and how this related to space as demonstrated by your two Next Wave projects and also the Reality Hour project

Themes that I read coming up in your project

- contemporary and personal readings of pop culture and mythology/fairy tale - such as little red riding hood/the bride


The two key works that you made for Foma are beautiful and I hope that you might finish off your black work for the tour - such sensational stitching.

Although it was clear that you hadn't worked very hard in thinking and planning to establish relationship between costume/body and place for this particular project (I have witnessed you do this numerous occasions to a really high standard including space issues and also your developmental outcome) I agree with this, just in case you're wondering....ell

There were interesting readings to be found in your work - such as the blanket - next to the Yarra - conjuring up imagry of pinicing/water/christianity/the body defying reality and walking on water etc

also the dress a formal dress covered in string birds nest - again constant play around the formal vs the unreal - the presence of the natural taking up residence in a formal setting and making a safe place to reproduce and bring up their young. Bridget made an intersting comment, at the nigh of your opening, between the falling of the string having a relatioship to my work in her first edition of her zine.

In saying this an artist can never be aware of all the readings their work may take as you can never be in another persons head - however their are images/stories/language that we all share and your work can make use of these in a really strong way as you are using the body/place/dress.

I hope this is useful and assist you thinking and continued joy for your own artistic practice - as often I have witnessed your projects resolve themselves purely through joy for your own ideas and making them happen

Tam

Tamara Marwood
Associate Producer - Regional Projects
Next Wave

Hi Tam,

I think you are right that I hadn't worked hard to create a show that made sense in its location, themes and presentation tying together. I don't think I responded well to the themes that I worked with (my fault as I picked the bloody themes in the first place) and I feel that I came out of the festival wanting to work in a different way altogether - that is, make the work first, then look for the presentation (gallery, festival, outdoor) rather than making work that I try to squeeze into someone else's (or my own) rationale.

I think you are also right that I didn't have the same enthusiasm for my work as I did for previous shows. I think I put in the same effort for the blanket (if not more) as previous shows but the dress I was not too happy with.

And I think I would have been a lot more confident if I had have teamed up with a producer to manage the admin/publicity rather than producing it myself.

But! Aside from hindsight, I think that my work is about:

- interpreting social/cultural phenomena (memes as Richard Dawkins would say apparently)
- looking at objects, particularly natural elements such as plants, animals and taking inspiration from textures (trying to recreate them more like it)
- a surreal interpretation of people (a person, a character) using a free association style of interpretation

Oh I don't know. A lot of the time when I am choosing fabrics, materials, I just pick them because I like how they look. I love calico, brown paper and jute twine because they look so natural. There's no intellectual rationale for their use in my work.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'd like to put a copy of your feedback on my new blog if that is ok? I haven't even set it up properly so don't expect much, but here is the link:

http://ellencoyle.blogspot.com/

Don't get too excited, I don't know what I'm doing yet. Hope all's well. What a month.

Ellie

I thought I was going to be working on some stuff today for my upcoming show Flock, but instead I made the cake in the above picture. I haven't even touched it yet, it's in the fridge. If anyone sees this blog and wants some of this cake, just put up a comment.

1 comment:

tjoyy said...

yumm
oops I am online again and not in my studio

Glad the feedback was useful - you have been recommended as a site to visit by Lauren from she sees red

http://sheseesred.blogspot.com/2008/06/bloglines-fade-away-or-i-promise-i-love.html