Sunday, June 29, 2008

Foma variations


I'm working on some ideas for Foma and I'm liking this mask idea - the motif is a representation, for me, of the idea that most people deep down are scared, but it's ok, because we all are. It's something I don't like to forget.

I was trying to see what the wedding dress would be like with the blanket - I am someone who believes in a lot of the doctrine that organized religion teaches us, but don't believe I need to be told this by an organized religion. The blanket is a metaphor for the protection that a religion gives its members - from the responsibility of working for our ideals, our principles, our own process of rational thought. The wedding dress is my own tendency to have belief in certain aspects of religion despite my lack of faith. It's my own truth and lies. And how they work, or not.
I don't know, what do you think?Releasing Ceremony
This is my old flatmate Christi at the Releasing of the Costume Ceremony, where we took a costume that I hated and stuck it in a tree in Rosalind Park. I'd decided that it's time in my life was at an end, so we met up in the park and left it in a tree. When I went back the next day it was gone, so if I see any homeless people in Bendigo with it on, I'll be happy.

I think this is in line with an idea of mine that my costumes shouldn't really be in galleries anyway - they need to be on the street on people, or in trees, or hanging from telephone lines (if I was doing shoes that is, which I am actually). I'm going to investigate this further and get back you. Cheerio!

No comments: